Are you a beginner and don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on your first sewing machine? Good call! When you are just starting, spending a lot on a sewing machine may be unnecessary. When learning how to sew, you can begin with the best low-priced sewing machine.
What if you are looking for a sewing machine to gift your child, or you just want a machine for little home sewing? Whatever the reason, you are in the right place.
- A Peek at the Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
- 1. Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine
- 2. SINGER Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- 3. Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table, Dual Speed Portable Sewing Machine for Beginner with Light, Sewing Kit for Kids
- 4. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, XR3774, 37 Built-in Stitches, Wide Table, 8 Included Sewing Feet
- 5. SINGER Mechanical MX60 Sewing Machine
- 6. Varmax Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table
- 7. Janome Fastlane Fuschia Basic Sewing Machine
- 8. MICHLEY LSS-505+ Multi-Purpose Sewing Machine
- 9. Varmax Sewing Machine with Sewing Kit
- 10. DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine
- 11. Luby Sewing Machine for Beginners with 12 Stitches & Free Arm, Portable & Lightweight
- 12. NEX Portable Sewing Machine Double Speeds for Beginner Art Craft 12 Stitches
- Buying Guide – What to Look for When Choosing the Best Sewing Machine under 100 Dollars
- What to Expect From a Low-Priced Sewing Machine?
- What Kinds of Fabrics Can I Sew Sewing Machine Under $100?
- Maintenance Tips for Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
- FAQ’s – Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
- Last Thoughts on Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
While selecting the best beginner’s sewing machine, you need someone to guide you. If your budget is $100, then it’s your lucky day. There are many great and affordable machines out there, and we’ve taken the time to review the 13 best sewing machine under 100 dollars.
However, you need to know which one suits your need best. How then can you know the best sewing machine under 100 dollars for you? You are about to take the first step. Start by reading our reviews below.
Let’s get on with it.
A Peek at the Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
Best Overall Sewing Machine under $100
Brother XM2701 Lightweight Sewing Machine. 27 built-in stitches, in-built LED lighting, 63 diverse stitch options, instructional videos, jam-proof drop-in bobbin, 25-year warranty.
Best Intermediate Sewing Machine under 100 dollars
Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine. Includes foot pedal, dual speed control, and double thread design.
Best Sewing Machine under $100 for Quilting
Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, XR3774. Free arm, automatic needle threader, drop-in top bobbin.
Best Sewing Machine under 100 dollars for Kids
Janome Fastlane Fuschia Basic Sewing Machine. Portable, beautiful, finger guard, and presser foot.
Best Electric Sewing Machine under $100
DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine. Dual speed control, 1 year limited warranty, hand switch & foot pedal.
Best Budget Sewing Machine under 100 dollars
SINGER Start 1304 Sewing Machine. 6 built-in stitches, automatic bobbin winding, lightweight.
Best Versatile Sewing Machine under $100
MICHLEY LSS-505+ Desktop Sewing Machine. Presser foot, hand switch, or soft pedal.
Best for Craftsmen
Varmax Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table. Dual speed control, compact, one-year warranty.
Best DIY Sewing Machine under 100 dollars
Luby Sewing Machine. Portable, instructional videos, 12 built-in stitches.
Best Singer Sewing Machine under 100 dollars
Singer SINGER Mechanical MX60. Portable, lightweight, LED lightning all the while.
Best Sewing Machine under $100 for Seamstress
Varmax Sewing Machine with Sewing Kit. Adapter, foot controller, and tutorial videos.
Best Sewing Machine under 100 dollars for Making Clothes
NEX Portable Sewing Machine. Dual speed, automatic bobbin rewinder.
Are you looking for an average priced top quality sewing machine with broad functionality? Then you’d love the first on our best sewing machine under 100 dollars list- The Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional sewer, this machine comes loaded with all the features you could need.
The free arm is flexible, making it one of the best sewing machine for advanced sewers and beginners’ sewing projects. It also comes with 27 built-in stitches, including stretch stitches, zigzag, blind hem, and decorative stitches. Besides, there are 63 diverse stitch options, which is higher than what other models have.
Other notable features of this brother sewing machine model are a jam-proof drop-in top bobbin and an automatic needle threader that allows you to do needle threading correctly.
The machine’s accessories are a 3-piece needle set, 4 bobbins, 6 sewing feet, twin needle, an instructional DVD, and more.
That’s not all. Brother doesn’t just sell this machine; they offer guidance! In addition to the instructional video and operation manual, this machine comes with the Brother ‘at your side’ support so you can get technical help on the phone, online, or via a live chat.
Even though this machine has the capacity of a large machine, it operates quietly. So, you won’t have to deal with those intense, disturbing noises other machines make.
With the versatility, compact design, and affordability of this sewing machine, it’s no wonder it is a prominent product in the market. Whether you are quilting or cutting buttonholes, it will do a fantastic job.
Now let’s have a look at the specification, pros, and cons so you can weigh your options.
|Dimension||12.1 x 5.9 x 15.3 inches|
|Warranty||25 years warranty|
- This sewing machine has built-in LED lighting so that you can sew in low light.
- Hemming and stitching with the machine are very easy.
- The machine has an automatic needle threader, a feature that is rare in a sewing machine of this price range.
- You can operate in different modes with the six changeable feed dogs.
- The machine’s drop bobbin system is jam-resistant.
- You can do free-motion quilting.
- The machine can sew massive stitch patterns correctly.
- The machine’s LED lighting is a little dim.
The SINGER Start 1304 sewing machine is easy-to-use especially with the 57 Stitch Applications. They all come with pre-set stitch length and width. In essence, all you have to do is select your stitch and you can start sewing.
It also has an all-purpose foot, buttonhole foot, zipper foot, a pack of needles, bobbins, and more. It’s practically loaded with features that will aid your convenience.
You can take this sewing machine along with you anywhere, and even use it in tight spaces. Amazing right? The light weight affords you that chance. Now let’s review the specifications, pros, and cons to help our decision.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches|
- It’s designed to be user-friendly and simple
- Suitable for beginners and children
- It comes with 6 built-in stitches.
- It’s lightweight, portable and can be moved around.
- The features are designed to aid your convenience.
- Stitch selection is easy
- Buttonhole has 4 steps
- The foot pedal is plastic.
- Speed control is limited.
3. Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table, Dual Speed Portable Sewing Machine for Beginner with Light, Sewing Kit for Kids
The Magicfly mini sewing machine is suitable for both beginners and children. It comes with a threading direction that makes threading easy, and it supports both AC/DC power supply and wireless battery power supply. In addition, you can easily turn the sewing machine on with the foot pedal or button and start sewing.
Another outstanding feature of the Magicfly mini sewing machine that gives it a spot among the best sewing machine under 100 dollars is the double threads design. It improves your stitching, making it stronger, so you don’t have to tie the thread after sewing. You can also turn the operating speed high or low based on your preference using the speed button.
Accessories include 5 pcs needles, 1 scissors, 36 pcs bobbin, 1 threader, 1 tape measure, and 1 extension table. The extension table makes working on the sewing machine more stable, so you can work better on a large sewing project. However, you might have to place a paper beneath when sewing a fragile fabric.
Are you a beginner looking for a compact sewing machine to start with? Or you want the perfect gift for your child? The Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine fits right in as one of the best sewing machine for children and beginners.
|Dimension (L x W x H)||10.43 x 9.06 x 7.48 inches|
|Power Source||Battery and electric powered|
- The machine is very affordable for the features it offers.
- It comes with dual speed control.
- The extension table gives you more stability when sewing.
- The sewing kit contains 42 pcs sewing accessories.
- It’s suitable for both beginners and kids.
- Sewing elastic, too soft, and too thin fabrics are difficult.
4. Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, XR3774, 37 Built-in Stitches, Wide Table, 8 Included Sewing Feet
The Brother XR3774 sewing and quilting machine come with 37 built-in stitches, including quilting, decorative, and blind hemstitches.
The versatile free arm makes it a perfect fit for your daily sewing and quilting projects, whether you are just starting or you are an advanced sewer. Just drop the machine’s feed dog using the needle plate cover, and you have one of the best sewing machine for free motion quilting.
The drop in bobbin is jam-resistant and it has an automatic needle threader that makes threading effortless and easy. Accessories include a wide table, machine cover, an instructional DVD, 8 sewing feet, and many more. To top all these, the machine comes with ‘Brother At Your Side support’ so that you can get free technical assistance either online, on the phone, or via live chat.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||15.3 x 5.8 x 12 inches|
|Power Source||Treadle powered|
- 37 inbuilt stitches
- Automatic needle threader
- Jam proof drop-in top bobbin
- It comes with brother ‘at your side’ support.
- Automic button-hole feature
- It’s suitable for everyday quilting and sewing projects.
- No automatic bobbin winder.
Looking for a lightweight, portable, yet sturdy sewing machine for your sewing and crafts? Then look in the way of the Singer Mechanical MX60 Sewing Machine. It offers you 57 stitch applications for sewing techniques, and selecting stitches is as easy as a, b, c.
It is made of a metal frame, which gives it that sturdy build, making it one of the best mechanical sewing machine for your crafts. Other notable features are LED lighting, pre-set stitch width and length to make stitch selection easy, front-loading bobbin winder, and more.
|Dimension||16 x 13.5 x 9 inches|
- Sturdy and very functional.
- It is easy to operate.
- Built-in LED lamp
- Contains necessary accessories.
- It comes with no manual or instructional video attached.
Next on our list of best sewing machine under 100 dollars is the Varmax Mini Sewing Machine. This mini-size sewing machine comes with a large extension table, so you can work on large sewing projects efficiently and not have to worry about the sewing machine losing stability.
It also comes with double thread stitching, so you don’t have to make knots after completing your sewing.
Now the juicy part. The Varmax Mini Sewing Machine comes with a unique cuff slot designed for sewing trouser legs and sleeves. That’s not all. It has an in-built light that will provide you sufficient lighting when you are sewing at night or under low lighting.
Other features include a dual-speed button so you can work at your preferred speed. Are you a beginner looking for a portable yet balanced sewing machine to do your home sewing? Then you’ve found the machine for the job. However, have a detailed look at the specifications, pros, and cons before making your final decision.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||6.9 x 3.5 x 8.6 inches|
|Warranty||1year warranty and after-sales service|
- The large extension table provides stability.
- The mini size makes it easy to carry about.
- Built-in lamp for lighting under low lights.
- You can rewind the bobbins easily on the winding pole.
- You can sew trousers and sleeves with the special in-built cuff slot.
- It comes with an instruction manual that serves as a guide.
- It requires constant rethreading.
- There’s no backstitch option.
There’s no “best sewing machine under 100 dollars” list without the Janome Fuschia sewing machine. This super-affordable compact, lightweight sewing machine comes with 10 integrated stitches, including zigzag, straight, crescent, and two-needle positions.
It also has a free arm, accessory storage, and a finger guard that protects your little finger while you work. Janome Fastlane Fuschia Basic is one of the best sewing machines for kids. Young girls will particularly love the attractive Fuschia color.
Setting up is very easy with the drop-in top bobbin and threading diagrams. Overall, this is a suitable machine for beginners to start basic sewing lessons with and later switch to a more advanced one as they progress.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||10.5 x 5 x 9 inches|
|Warranty||25 years warranty|
- The quality is good for the low price.
- Compact, lightweight, and attractive.
- Suitable for different sewing projects.
- It comes with a free arm.
- It’s very fitting for teaching sewing to children.
- You can carry and move it easily from one place to the other.
- It comes with a finger guard that protects your little finger when sewing.
- The threading diagrams make setting up effortless.
- Some parts of the machine are quite fragile.
- Some users have complained that some types of stitches do not work smoothly.
At only less than 5 pounds, this portable, lightweight machine offers you many superb features. The 8 built-in stitches, reverse stitching, and an LED makes it easy for you to create neat and crisp stitches with this machine.
Other features include a replaceable presser foot, two-thread lockstitch, and a magnetic bobbin so you don’t have to manually wind the bobbin separately.
There’s more! You can sew forward & reverse, rewind theme automatically, and make double yarn. Are you planning to sew sleeves? This machine will do the job. The best part is with the lightweight, you can carry your machine with you about and work where you please. One more thing, even though it is lightweight and portable, it doesn’t have that toy-like look.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||10.8 x 4.8 x 10.2 inches|
- 8 in-built stitches
- Lightweight but not toy-like
- It comes with an in-built thread cutter.
- It comes with a sewing light so you can work at night and under low lighting.
- It has an automatic bobbin winder.
- The design is compact and fitting for kids.
- Dual speed option.
- Automatic bobbin winder.
- The foot pedal is firm.
- The needle plate has no seam guide.
- The plastic bobbin is pretty fragile.
Are you looking for a mini sewing machine to sew your hems, apron, pet clothes, and do other types of home sewing? Then the Varmax sewing machine fits right in. If you are just starting out sewing, the straight stitch mode simplifies the entire process.
It also comes with a detailed operation manual to point you in the right direction. The adapter and foot controller would assist if you want to do a fast mending. The machine is versatile.
However, before you start any form of sewing, we recommend that you watch the tutorial videos by Varmax first. They are straightforward to find.
Accessories include 5 needles, 32 bobbins, a threader, a scissor, 5 needles, a seam ripper, and a thimble.
|Dimension||10.07 x 8.97 x 7 inches|
- It comes with a well-detailed manual.
- Tutorial videos are easy to access.
- It has a foot controller and adapter for fast mending.
- The sewing machine supports many fabrics.
- You can easily control the speed with the foot pedal.
- The machine has no reverse function.
10. DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine
One remarkable thing about the Donyer Power Electric Sewing Machine is that it corrects the notion that you have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a decent sewing machine.
Although it is smaller than a full-sized machine, many great features are packed in its compact portable size.
It comes with a 12 preset stitch patterns to make learning sewing tricks easier for beginners. You can also choose between a high or low-speed level, and a foot pedal or hand switch depending on your preference. These features make learning easier for beginners making this model one of the best mini sewing machine for beginners.
That’s not all. It also has an adjustable stitch length and width, free arm, an in-built needle threader, and more.
Overall, this machine is perfect for beginners, DIY enthusiasts, or craftspeople’s use at home. If you are looking for the best embroidery machine for beginners, it fits right in.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||12.3 x 11.7 x 5.7 inches|
|Warranty||1 year limited warranty|
- It comes at a low price and offers excellent features.
- It is portable and compact.
- Designed to be easy to use
- Dual speed levels
- It comes with no company support.
If you are looking for an excellent portable starter sewing machine for your DIY and home sewing, or a suitable sewing machine for your kid, then here you have it! Luby Sewing Machine for Beginners!
Unlike the traditional sewing machines, it is very lightweight, and you can carry it around with you to work anywhere. You have 12 different built-in stitches to choose from, and selection is easy. All you have to do is turn the knob gently, choose the stitch, and voila! Stitch out your preferred style.
Another essential feature is the dual speed button. You can switch from low to high speed and vice versa, depending on your comfort.
To help you master this sewing machine faster and easier for you, detailed tutorial videos are attached. In fact, based on the reviews, all you need to master this machine is a few hours.
|Dimension (LxWxH)||11.4 x 5.1 x 9.6 inches|
|Power Source||Corded Electric|
- Lightweight, portable machine for learning, and easy carriage.
- It comes with a User guide.
- It’s suitable for beginners and children
- Dual speed button
- 12 in-built stitches
- Ideal for sewing trousers and sleeves
- The buttonhole presser foot has 4 steps
- It comes with several detailed instructional videos
- Not appropriate for large sewing projects
- There’s no warranty
Concluding our list of best sewing machine under 100 dollars is the Nex Portable Sewing Machine. If what you want is a mini multifunctional home sewing machine, then you’ve found one. It comes with dual speed selection, an automatic bobbin rewinding, and s foot pedal. The foot pedal allows you to control the speed with your feet while you sew with both your hands.
Yes, it’s multifunctional! With the 12 stitches pattern, you can use it for several sewing projects. However, if you are a beginner, we recommend studying the instructions that come with the package or watching instructional videos from the website before you use it.
Another remarkable feature of this machine is it comes with NEX At Your Side support, so you can get free technical support via email throughout your machine’s life.
|Dimension||12.6 x 12.3 x 6.2 inches|
|Stitch Formation||Lock Stitch|
- Dual speed selection
- It comes with a foot pedal
- Auto bobbin rewinding
- It comes with “NEX At Your Side” support to give you free technical support
- You can start the machine with either a hand switch or foot pedal
- It supports both forward and reverse sewing
- Not suitable for heavy sewing projects
Buying Guide – What to Look for When Choosing the Best Sewing Machine under 100 Dollars
Many factors come to play when buying a sewing machine, especially a low-priced one. When looking to select the best sewing machine under 100 dollars, ensure you take note of the following features so you can get a top-performing model.
Selection of Stitches
When looking for the best sewing machine under 100 dollars, it’s essential to know the machine’s stitches. Sure, costlier sewing machines have more stitch settings. However, a good sewing machine under $100 should at least have the basic stitches so you can do decorative and regular stitches. Five or more stitches should be sufficient for most sewing projects.
Threading and Bobbins
Another feature you should look out for when looking for the best sewing machine under 100 dollars is an automatic needle threader. Even the most basic models should have this feature. Why? They remove the stress of you continually threading the needle so you can direct all your time and effort to your sewing.
Also, consider the thread’s tension. You need this for the bobbin thread and sewing thread. If these two are in sync, you’ll avoid problems like broken thread, stretched fabric, and random loops. Some sewing machines also have automatic bobbin winding, which further adds to your convenience.
Sewing Machine’s Compactness
This is one feature that you should be on the lookout for if you plan to move your sewing machine back and forth or travel around with it. If this is your intention, a non-compact machine might not be the best sewing machine under 100 dollars for you. Compact sewing machines are usually lightweight and have a handle on the top, making movement easy.
Most compact sewing machines have the free arm as an extending piece. It makes working on hems and sleeves more convenient. Some of the best sewing machines under 100 dollars even have removable storage areas that you can use to create space for the free arm.
Mechanical or computerized
Before you purchase your sewing machine, you have to know if it is mechanical or computerized. Computerized sewing machine offers more extensive collections of embroidery and attractive stitches compared to mechanical ones. However, if you are on a strict budget, you might ideally go for a mechanical sewing machine.
You need some accessories for proper maintenance of your sewing machine. One is a dust cover to keep it neat and dust-free, then a case to keep your machine when going out with it. It would also be nice for you to have extra needles, bobbins, measuring tapes, and several sewing feet so you can work on different types of projects.
The sewing speed how fast the fabric pulls through the sewing machine. Many low-priced models have only one sewing speed, but some of the best sewing machine under 100 dollars, like the MICHLEY LSS-505+ and DONYER POWER Sewing Machine, come with dual speed levels. Many sewing machines also include a foot pedal so that you can control the speed with them.
The Purpose of the Sewing Machine
You should be clear on your objective for the sewing machine i.e., what you intend to use it for before making a purchase. The best sewing machine under 100 dollars for personal use would be different from professional use. For example, if you plan to sew very thick blankets, you’ll need more than a machine with basic accessories.
Your sewing machine’s warranty serves as some sort of insurance that covers any damages in machine parts or workmanship. Some products have their warranty lasting as long as 25 years, while others last for a year or two. There are products with no warranty at all. Consider this, so you don’t have to pay-out-of-pocket for unforeseen issues.
What to Expect From a Low-Priced Sewing Machine?
While searching for the best sewing machine under 100 dollars, it’s possible that you saw the wide price gap between the models. Sewing machines cost as high as $800, so those that cost less than $100 are considered pretty cheap.
However, even at that low price, you can still get a very good machine. That’s precisely why we reviewed the best sewing machine under 100 dollars to aid your decision making.
As stated above, make sure the machine has features like many built-in stitches, an automatic needle threader, an adjustable foot pedal, a free arm, and more. A low-priced sewing machine may not be durable enough to last you decades, but if it comes with a good warranty, you’ll be protected against unexpected issues.
However, compared to best handheld sewing machines, they have all the necessary functions and can finish sewing projects more conveniently.
What Kinds of Fabrics Can I Sew Sewing Machine Under $100?
So we’ve reviewed the best sewing machines under 100 dollars, but maybe you are still not clear on the kind of fabrics you can sew considering the low price. Well, the good thing is your sewing options have no limits regarding smaller and basic projects. You can work on different cool fabrics on a smaller scale.
Cotton is the most widely used fabric. It’s made from many natural ingredients, elastic, soft, and pleasant to the skin. When it comes to creating lovely outfits for the family, this material is usually the go-to.
Raw fabrics are popularly used to make outfits today. An example is women’s duffle pants.
Kaki fabric is made from twill synthetic fibers or cotton, and known for its durability. It is thicker than other fabrics and used to sew uniforms, and office outfits.
Linen fabric is synonymous with elegance and femininity for girls. This makes it a familiar sight in everyday clothing.
Chiffon is made from artificial products. It is gentle, soft, and comfortable on the skin. It’s pretty popular and is commonly used to sew office shirts.
Jean fabric is woven using 2 yarns of the same color made from just cotton. They are very durable, and outfits made from them cut across all ages and social classes.
There are some of these fabrics that only some sewing machines under $100 can sew efficiently. The review points them out.
Maintenance Tips for Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
- After every sewing project or 8 hours of working non-stop, unplug your machine and clean. Take out the pressure foot, bobbin, and needle. Remove the bobbin, pressure foot, and needle, as well.
- Do not spray or pour liquid directly on the machine. Dust the outside with a soft, damp cloth to remove stains. Use cotton swabs or brushes for places the cloth can’t get to.
- To clean the tension disks, raise the pressure foot so the tension spring can become loose.
- Use a small brush to clean both the feed dogs and bobbin area after removing the needle plate.
- Before you oil any of the internal parts, check the manual to be sure.
- When your machine is not in use, cover it, and keep it clean.
- Service your machine every two years so it can remain oiled and clean.
FAQ’s – Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
Last Thoughts on Best Sewing Machine Under 100 Dollars
And voila! Now we’ve covered the entire review of the best sewing machine under 100 dollars and shared a few tips. We hope by now, you have an idea of the best sewing machine to choose from for your sewing project. Remember to put your needs first when shopping for your machine.
Did you enjoy reading this review? We’d love to know how helpful you found it in the comments.