Are you a beginner sewer looking for an affordable sewing machine? Or you already have a sewing machine and looking to upgrade to a budget-friendly option? Find here our reviews of the top 12 best sewing machine under 200 dollars to help you choose the ideal one for your needs.
If you are on a really tight budget, you may also want to check out our review on the best sewing machine under $100 dollars.
Short on Time? Summary of the Best Sewing Machine Under $200 Dollars
Best Computerized Sewing Machine under 200 Dollars – Brother HC1850
Of the computerized models, the Brother HC1850 offers the most for your money. The huge variety of stitch options offers creative possibilities for the sewer who does not have or want a separate quilting machine.
If you do a variety of sewing projects, the HC1850 is the all-around best sewing machine under 200 dollars. It will handle quilting, home decorating, garment sewing, and heirloom projects, as well as monogramming. It is one of the best sewing machine under 200 dollars.
Best Mechanical Heavy Duty Sewing Machine under 200 Dollars – Singer 4423
Among the mechanical sewing machines, the Singer 4423 is ideal for beginners and more experienced users who want a simple and reliable machine to operate.
This machine is a good choice for someone needing a budget machine for hemming pants and skirts or sewing basic garments and home decors such as pillows and tablecloths.
Best Sewing Machine under 200 Dollars for Beginners – Janome 2122
Beginners can enjoy the Janome 2212 for learning to sew without having to master a large number of optional features.
Best Sewing Machine under 200 Dollars for Sewing and Quilting – Brother HC1850 and Brother CS6000i
The Brother HC1850 is the winner among quilting machines in the best sewing machine under 200 dollar category.
It has the most quilting stitch functions as well as an included spring-action quilting foot.
Best Sewing Machine under 200 Dollars for Denim – Brother XM2701
This budget sewing machine can sew thick fabric such as denim. Just make sure you have the appropriate needle for jeans.
1. Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother HC1850 Computerized sewing machine could be one of the most versatile and easy to use machines on the market. Still, it is mind-boggling that such a compact sewing machine can contain so many features, and even more incredible that it can be yours for less than $200!
The large LCD display, with push-button stitch selection, makes picking your stitches an easy task. Furthermore, the in-built monogramming font with A-Z, 0-9, and 7 punctuation marks, alongside 8 special symbols, is convenient.
Additional features like the easy to use speed control, automated needle threader, and top drop-in bobbin section with the transparent seal will save you time and frustration. The product also comes with a wide table for larger projects like quilts. It could pass for the overall best sewing machine under 200.
- The built-in flip chart offers an easy reference of all 184 built-in stitches.
- It is a computerized sewing machine and has a wide table, which is great for larger projects.
- It has a large backlit LCD display screen with push-button stitch selection.
- There is free technical support available to Brother machine users for the life of the product.
- The Brother HC1850 has the option of free-motion quilting, which gives users total versatility.
- This machine is not ideal for use in countries that do not support 120V AC, even with a voltage adapter.
2. Brother XM2701 Sewing Machine
This Brother XM2701 free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday projects and certainly one of the best sewing machine under 200 dollars. It is perfect for beginners who are learning to sew and more advanced sewers who want versatility.
- 27 built-in sewing stitches.
- 6 included feet.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Versatile free arm.
- 800 stitches per minute
- Great machine for users from beginners to advanced.
- Easy to use.
- Jam-resistant quick-set top drop-in bobbin.
- Some users have indicated issues with the needle catching the bobbin thread.
3. Brother CS6000i Sewing and Quilting Machine
The is one of the best sewing machine under 200 dollar. It has good features for basic sewing such as making bags, accessories, clothing, and even quilting.
- It has an adjustable sewing speed.
- LCD display which is easy to use.
- It has 60 built-in stitches, including 20 decorative stitches, 20 stitches for garment construction, 7 quilting stitches, 6 heirloom stitches, and 7 automatic buttonhole stitches.
- It has easy bobbin winding system.
- It also has an automatic needle threader.
- It has an in-built free arm for sewing sleeves and cuffs.
- It is a sewing machine with speed control
- It has a built-in bobbin winding feature to save time.
- It also has top drop-in bobbin housing with a clear cover.
- Beginner-friendly interface Designed for larger projects
- Sewing machine speed control feature Comes with carrying case.
- The use of this machine is not supported in countries that do not support 120V AC, even with a voltage adapter.
- Possible tension issues
4. Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
The Janome 2212 is a great model that includes a bonus bundle with 10 bobbins and a set of size 14 needles for a start. It provides the basics, including a dial to select a pattern, 12 different built-in stitches, and a four-step buttonhole. You can adjust the length and width of the stitch to make the machine easier to use with different materials.
The sewing machine also comes with a free arm for sleeves and cuffs. Overall, the Janome 2212 is an effective sewing machine for getting started as it gets the work done without the overwhelming, complex options of other sewing machines.
- Comes with bonus package that typically includes 10 bobbins, 2 each Schmetz 90/14 universal needles and other sewing accessories.
- Easy operation.
- Can be used for different entry-level projects
- Loud operation
- The bobbin is difficult to remove and insert.
5. Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine
It is a heavy-duty sewing machine. It is built with a heavy-duty metal frame, making it strong enough to deal with the workload. It is one of the best sewing machine under 200 dollars for heavy fabrics. The bedplate is made of stainless steel. It also has a very swift sewing speed and powerful motor, which makes sewing easier.
The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty can sew anything you throw at it. It is one of the best sewing machines for denim. You can make new sewing projects from scratch, and you can also make clothe alterations. Singer 4423 is also easy to use, and it is a versatile sewing machine.
- It’s a high-speed sewing machine and can sew up to 1100 stitches-per-minute.
- It has a 60% stronger motor.
- It also has a top drop-in bobbin system with clear view cover.
- It has a fully automatic 1 step buttonhole.
- It also has a heavy-duty metal frame.
- It also has an automatic needle threader.
- It has 23 built-in stitches, which include 6 basic stitches, 4 Stretch Stitches, 12 Decorative Stitches, 1 Fully Automatic 1-Step Buttonhole.
- This sewing machine is perfect for every type of fabrics, crafts, home decor, clothing construction, and much more.
- Great for heavy weight fabrics.
- It has a strong motor that provides greater piercing power for thick seams.
- It comes with a variety of sewing machine accessories including screwdriver, various foot, seam ripper, needles, bobbins, and more.
- This machine is one of the best sewing machine under 200 dollars.
- One could experience bobbin issues.
6. Janome 15822 Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
This cheerful-looking machine has many features to smile about. The built-in needle threader makes operating the machine so much easier, so does the one-step buttonhole facility. With twenty-two stitches to choose from, users have a wide range of options to display their creativity. It could serve as kids beginner sewing machine.
- It has an extra-high presser foot lift feature, which is very useful when sewing multiple layers.
- It also has an easy-to-use bobbin winding feature, which saves loads of time.
- The front-loading bobbin compartment is located behind the accessory storage. So, accessing the bobbin requires removing the storage bin and usually results in the contents spilling out.
7. Janome 13512 Hello Kitty Sewing Machine
Despite the babyish look of Janome 13512 Red Hello Kitty Sewing Machine, it is strong, well made, and has an array of necessary elements that make it ideal for novices and additionally sewers with a touch of involvement.
One of the features of the Janome 13512 is that it has 12 distinctive exceptional fastens that will more than meet your basic sewing needs. These fasten are visible in front of the machine beside a join determination dial. The image prints offer a simple outline of line patterns, while the dial makes it easy to choose and stitch changes while you’re sewing.
- Easy for beginners
- User friendly
- Creative design
- Beautiful appearance
- Perfect for both kids and adults
- Free arm
- 4 step buttonhole
- One of the best sewing machine under 200 dollars for children
- Limited stitch types.
8. Brother XM1010 Sewing Machine
The upper string alongside the bobbin set in the bobbin winder is exactly what you would look out for on a decent sewing machine. It has a free arm feature which will help you a lot with sewing youngsters’ clothes.
It is lightweight and accompanies with it many elements, for instance, 10 work in lines, crisscross and zipper sewing feet as well as 25 years of dependable guarantee settles on XM1010, it is not a bad choice for apprentices and sewing machines under 200 dollar.
- 10 Built-in stitches
- Free arm
- Easy stitch selector
- Easy to use
- Four-step buttonhole
- Adjustable thread tension
- 10 built-in stitches
- Lack of heavy-duty features
- Limited stitch types.
9. Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Sewing and Quilting Machine
Brother XR3774 is the perfect sewing and quilting machine for beginners as well as one of the best machine under 200 dollars for advanced sewers who are looking for some flexibility. It has a wide scope of features, very user friendly and lightweight. You can lift this machine into sewing classes as well. With built-in free arm, you can sew cuffs, sleeves, and pant legs easily.
It has a one-step buttonholer to create virtually create buttonholes and has a wide table to sew larger fabrics such as quilts.
- It is versatile
- User – friendly
- One could have bobbin issues.
10. Brother CE7070PRW Project Runway
The CE7070PRW delivers couture-level, consistent stitch quality, and has a lot of features. It is also another computerized sewing machine that allows you to become a couturier at a great value.
This sewing machine can sew any kind of fabric you throw at it. It has 70 built-in stitches, which assists in making a wide range of designs. It has 7 styles of in-built buttonholes and can easily create professional one-step buttonholes that are automatically sized to fit your exact buttons. It has more space for sewing, which helps in handling larger fabrics.
- It has a convenient stitch chart printed in front of the sewing machine for easy selection.
- It has easy bobbin winding, an exceptional feed system, and a drop feed for free-motion quilting.
- The drop feed for free motion quilting is useful in finishing your quilting projects.
- User may experience threading issues
11. Brother CS5055PRW Project Runway
This Brother CS5055PRW Project Runway is a computerized sewing machine that is affordable.
You can easily choose from the LCD screen and adjust the stitches to your exact needs.
- It has 50 built-in stitches, including include quilting stitch, heirloom stitch and decorative stitch functions.
- Five one-step custom-sized buttonhole styles.
- 6 specialty sewing feet.
- It also has a quick set up bobbin.
- It has an automatic needle threader.
- It is ultra-lightweight and portable.
- It also has easy bobbin winding, an exceptional feed system, and a drop feed for free-motion quilting.
- It also has vertical spool pin.
- The presser feet includes Zipper foot, Overcasting foot, Monogramming foot, Blind stitch foot, Buttonhole foot, Button sewing foot.
- It has the most quilting stitch functions as well as an included spring-action quilting foot.
- It is affordable for a novice.
- It has threading issues.
12. SINGER 3323S Talent Sewing Machine
This is a manual rather than a computerized machine, meaning you use a knob to change the settings instead of a screen. This is a great thing for the less tech-savvy people.
The SINGER 3323S Talent 23-Stitch Sewing Machine allows beginners to do simple sewing instantly with little or no practice.
- Great for beginners
- Simple to use
- Occasional bobbin issues
What to Have in Mind When Buying a Sewing Machine under 200
Customizable Stitch Settings
The best machines come supplied with many options that can make sewing an effortless experience.
A good Fabric Feed
The sewing machine should have an easy fabric feed with an automatic tension regulator for a continuous stream of sewing experience. To flow properly while sewing, it’s nice not to have to stop and readjust your fabric every two minutes. Gadgets with easy texture and designs are absolutely necessary.
Programmed and Automatic Needle Threader
The reason people utilize sewing machines is to avoid all the stress of hand sewing. Ensure your sewing machine has an automatic needle threading feature on it.
The number of stitches you may need
If you have done any shopping or studied a little before you decide on your type of sewing machines, you might be overwhelmed by machines that have 80 to 100 or more than 200 implicit fastens.
Requirements as Per The Need of Your Project
If you are a tenderfoot sewer and you are searching for an adequate machine to trim or repair or complete home tasks with a lightweight texture, then you will discover numerous alternatives that are appropriate for your sewing needs. If you intend to sew pants, cowhide, upholstery and other tough materials, then the review above will be helpful to satisfy your needs. Likewise, if you intend to be sewing or weaving, then it is probable that you’ll need to get a sewing machine with a larger workspace.
Variable Speed Controls
Ensure you look for a product that allows you to adjust the machine’s speed to give your sewing more versatility.
Size and weight
Put your commitment to the machine, the projects you plan on doing, and how often you will be using it. If your plan is a limited use and nothing too busy, look for a small, lightweight sewing machine that you can easily store away, like some of the Brother or Janome models featured here. For constant, more determined users looking for continual use, try something a little sturdier with a strong build, such as the Singer 4432.
Some sewing machines have a dial as their primary source of control, others with push buttons, and even some that offer touchscreen controls. The more advanced the controls are, the higher the price of the machine. You can choose what you work best with. There should also be adequate space on the sewing machine so that you can work better with and on it. If all the fancy controls consume your space, it may not be worth investing in.
Most sewing machines have a foot pedal to run the speed of your machine. This is the essential control and is quite simple to use once you have a steady flow. Another means is the speed bar installed beside the machine. This method may have a more consistent hold.
Watch for the bobbin Sewing machines, which come with a bobbin winding system for easy winding that keeps the lower thread and helps secure your stitches. Most models will supply bobbins with the machine, but if you need extra bobbins, these are available separately.
Some machines come with various feet options to diversify your sewing experience, while some others come with a generic foot to work for everything. Presser feet are also available independently but selecting feet can become overwhelming. So first off, stick to the basics like the basic foot, a zig-zag foot, a buttonhole foot, and an adjustable foot for stronger threads and fabrics. With these, you can decide whether you need more and for what particular purpose.
Warranties are like the perfect last resort, but some come with conditions that may stop you from returning or getting your money back. Always check your options and limitations with the warranty. Also, try your best to get trial periods with your machine. With a trial period, you can test all facets of the machine and determine whether or not the machine is one worth keeping.
Features You Should Get in under-$200 Sewing Machines
There are tons of features that different sewing machines come with, but we don’t need all of them.
However, there are certain common features that we need to make use of in our day to day life.
For $200, you can get a sewing machine with a decent number of built-in stitching.
The sewing machine that I’ve suggested in this post has up to 130 built-in stitches, which are more than enough.
For home use, 130 built-in stitches are too much to choose from.
Hence, you can be assured that in case you want to spend up to $200, you get a sewing machine with several built-in stitches.
Look for the sewing machine that is an automatic sewing machine. It is convenient for everyone, whether you are a beginner sewist or the expert.
The automatic features such as Automatic Needle threader, Automatic drop in bobbin winding, etc., help the newbie start with their sewing product easily.
Single Purpose or Combined
It solely depends on the user’s choice, whether they need a single purpose sewing machine or a combined sewing machine.
The single purpose sewing machine can only be used for doing general stitching chores; however, if you purchase a combined sewing machine (I’ve them on the list), you can use it for regular sewing as well as quilting.
The sewing machine, which is used for quilting as well comes with an extension table to spread the quilt evenly stitch it without any problem.
The more the number of features, the better it will be. Apart from the most common features that I’ve mentioned above, your sewing machine should have an automatic buttonhole, free arm, easy threading, jam-resistant bobbin, LED lights to illuminate the work area, quick set-up bobbin, etc.
Don’t Forget The Accessories.
Generally, all the sewing machines come with the necessary accessories such as the screwdriver, seam ripper, oil, needle pack, bobbin pack, sewing feet etc.
Make sure you get all of them as they will need you in due course as you the stitching stuff.
Sewing Machine Brands
Brother International is one of the top manufacturers of sewing machines, with a market share of 29 percent of home sewing machines. The company offers basic to top-of-the-line combination of sewing and embroidery machines. The models are high tech with multiple features and advanced technology, yet easy to use. Models are available at www.brother.com and a network of independent dealers and mass merchants.
Janome America is one of the leading manufacturers of more-advanced and innovative sewing machines. Janome offers electronic and computerized models from entry-level to the high-end. Its most advanced and computerized sewing and embroidery machine to date is the Memory Craft 11000, which has patented stepping-motor technology and computer software.
The singer is the leading manufacturer and brand of sewing machines, with more than 43 percent of sales. Singer offers a range of models with style and features for beginners to proficient sewers. Models are available at specialty stores, mass merchants, including Target, Walmart, Kmart, and other national retailers.
FAQ’s on Best Sewing Machine under 200
What is the Most Reliable Sewing Machine?
Here are the best sewing machines:
Best sewing machine overall: Brother CS7000X.
Best mechanical sewing machine: Singer Heavy Duty 4452.
How Do I Choose a Sewing Machine?
When picking the best sewing machine for you, some important features to consider include the foot pedal style, the best sewing machine needle, speed, and sewing machine accessories.
What Is The Best Sewing Machine 2021?
Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine.
Singer 1304 Start Sewing Machine.
Singer 4452 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine for sewing the toughest of materials like leather.
Which Is Better Singer or Brother?
If you love to do decorative stitching on fabrics or linens, then you would want the Singer because it has 76 built-in decorative stitches compared to only about 20 on the Brother. The Brother is better if you are quilting because of the table accessory.
Is Janome Better than Brother?
Both are the largest brand in the international market. The Singer is quality and budget-friendly in this machine, many different types of built stitches. Janome is a heavy lightweight machine, and Janome also gives better stitches quality, and Brother does not give good stitches quality.
And the list on Best Sewing Machine under 200 dollars ends here. I hope it will be useful to you in choosing your sewing machine. You can share it with your friends and colleagues. If you are a beginner and would prefer a user-friendly sewing machine, then you can check Best Sewing Machine For Beginner. Enjoy!